11 Apr Diploma of Christian Studies (D.C.S.)
The Diploma of Christian Studies (D.C.S.) program is designed to increase the student’s biblical, theological and practical ministry knowledge in a systematic way. Such a study will prepare a student for lay leadership in a Christian congregation. It will also help the student and ALS determine if a student has the requisite gifts for more full-time service in the church. After graduating with the 48 credits of the D.C.S., students may apply to enter one or more of the ALS degree programs which requires earning an additional 40 credits for the A.A.Th., 80 credits for the B.Th., or 140 credits for the M.Div. degree.
- A secondary school diploma is required for admittance into the program.
- Students must be able to follow classes in English or Cantonese.
- A recommendation from the student’s pastor is required.
- No previous coursework in theology is required. Students who have had formal coursework in theology from a recognized institution of higher learning (Bible institute, Bible college, university, or seminary) may be able to have some credits transferred into the D.C.S. program at the discretion of the Academic Dean.
- Students normally will be members of a local congregation, and all who attend classes must demonstrate respect for the Lutheran character of the school.
- Students are to maintain good Christian character while enrolled.
Program of Study
|DCS-001||Basic Bible Interpretation|
|DCS-002||Old Testament Survey 1|
|DCS-003||Old Testament Survey 2|
|DCS-004||Life of Christ|
|DCS-005||New Testament Survey|
Systematic & Historical Theology
|DCS-006||Luther’s Small Catechism 1|
|DCS-007||Luther’s Small Catechism 2|
|DCS-008||Intro. to Confessions/Three Creeds|
|DCS-009||Law and Gospel 1 (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-010||Church and Ministry|
|DCS-011||Life of Luther (1.5 credit)|
Pastoral & Missiological Theology
*Elective subjects of equal degree freely
|DCS-013||Teaching the Bible|
|DCS-014||Christian Worship (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-015||The Christian Family (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-016||Christian Leadership (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-018||Stewardship (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-019||Law & Gospel 2 (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-022||Shepherding a Group (1.5 credit)|
|DCS-023||Preaching (1.5 credit)|
Transfer of credits from other programs, or substitution of other ALS courses for some of the above requirements may be possible. Students must apply to the Academic Dean who will then bring the request before the ALS faculty for approval. A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above at the end of the program is required for a student to be admitted into a subsequent degree program.