The Bachelor of Theology Degree (B.Th.) certifies that a candidate has well-rounded knowledge of the Bible and Christian theology. Many churches expect that candidates for the position of evangelist have achieved this degree. For other Christians, the degree simply recognizes their commitment to on-going Christian training.
The Bachelor of Theology degree requires a total of 128 credits. Students who have completed the ALS D.C.S. program must earn an additional 80 credits; those who have completed the ALS A.A.Th. degree must earn an additional 40 credits.
Students who complete the Bachelor of Theology program may continue their study for a Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) and/or Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree.
– A secondary school diploma is required for admittance to the program.
– Previous coursework at the Bible Institute level equivalent to the ALS D.C.S. diploma is required. If a student does not have this background, they will be encouraged to first complete the ALS D.C.S. program.
– A recommendation letter from the student’s pastor is required.
– Students must be able to follow classes in English or Cantonese.
– Students normally will be members of a local congregation, and all who attend classes must demonstrate respect for the Lutheran character of the school. Students are to maintain good Christian character while enrolled.
Program of Study
The ALS B.Th. degree certifies that a student has a well-rounded biblical and theological education, as well as being prepared to serve in various leadership functions within the church. Therefore, a balance is required between courses in the various disciplines, while the student still has additional electives which allow him to follow his interests and gifts.
Biblical Language Study
ALS encourages students to study the Bible in its original languages. B.Th. students may apply up to 12 credits of Biblical language study in either Greek or Hebrew to their degree. The first 6 credits of language study will be applied towards the degree as elective credits, while up to 6 additional credits can be applied to the biblical theology requirements of the degree.
Length of Study
By taking approximately 15 credits per semester, students entering ALS with a Bible Institute foundation may expect to complete the B.Th. degree in 3 calendar years. Those with no such background may expect to take at least 4 years. The faculty must give annual approval for a student who has not completed the program after 10 years of enrollment.